A 50 gallon tank is a perfect hub for raising a variety of fishes provided that the stocking is done ideally. This tank can be used by both the beginners and those who have pursued the hobby of fishkeeping since long. The tank is large enough to embrace diversity in the type of fishes.
All the errors that beginners and amateurs are likely to make tend to have a lesser negative impact on the ecosystem of the tank if the tank happens to be as large as 55 gallons. If you cannot afford to splurge on large tanks, 55 gallon tank is the perfect choice for you. While the tank allows you experiment with different combinations you need to be extra careful regarding the stocking of the tank in order to see your tank flourish.
BEST SELLER OF 50 GALLON TANK
- Moisture-resistant Aquarium furniture...
- State-of-the-art Aquarium Furniture with...
- LARGE ENVIRONMENT: Larger environments...
- KIT INCLUDES: one 55 gallon tank,...
- Combo includes aquarium, reflector and...
- Acrylic aquariums are clearer than...
Last update on 2020-02-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
HOW MANY FISHES FOR 50 GALLON TANK?
The number of fishes that a 55 gallon tank can be expected to contain depends on sundry factors. As a beginner, it is necessary that you do proper research on all these factors and make sure that only the right type of fishes gets entry into your tank. The size and the shape of the tank largely determine what kind of and how many fishes the tank can behold. The number also depends on the species of the fishes you choose to keep in your tank. Their full-body size has got a lot to do with the number of total fishes in your 50 gallon tank. Roughly your tank can be a home to 20-25 schooling fishes. Proper research is the first step to ideal fishkeeping.
WHAT ALL FISHES CAN YOUR 50-GALLON TANK BEHOLD?
The fishes you intend to keep in your 50 gallon tank should have the tendency to get along. This ensures that a peaceful, amiable, and flourishing environment prevails inside your tiny ecosystem. In order to make complete use of the large space of your 55 gallon tank, you can adopt the idea of different zones. You choose fishes from amongst the following:
For the bottom level of the tank:
- Cory catfish
- Cherry and ghost shrimp
- For the mid-level portion of the tank:
- Neons and other tetras
- Cherry barbs
- The top-level tank occupants:
- Swordtail and platy
- Zebra danio
If you wish to make it a species tank, you can consider the following type of fishes:
- African Cichlid
- Green spotted puffer
SOME STOCKING IDEAS THAT CAN COME IN HANDY
Stocking ideas have a great significance in the life and health of the aquarium. These guide you regarding which fish should be kept in unison with which fish so as to make complete use of the tank while taking care of the health of the fishes. The fishes you choose should feel happy and secure in the tank. The environment of the tank should not involve any such factor which degrades the comfort of any of the creatures in the tank.
Stocking ideas should be wise and judicial.
- 1-2 pair m/f of Dwarf flag cichlid, Bolivian Ram, Goldeneye cichlid
- 20-25 of tetra species considering their small size and peaceful nature.
- While stocking for 55 gallon tank, you should avoid Bushymouth catfish.
- 8-12 corydoras fish can prove to quite suitable for the tank.
- 3 males- 5 females of Black Molly, Dalmatiner-Molly or Silver-Molly
- 5 males and 10 females of Endler Guppies or Flamingo Guppies or Guppy paired with Cardinal Tetra or Ember Tetra or Rosy Tetra or Flame Tetra or Glowlight tetra.
Some factors to be taken care of:
- Aggressive fishes should be avoided, and only semi-aggressive fishes should be considered.
- Schooling fishes should be kept in groups so that they feel secure and exultant.
- It should be made sure that the fishes kept together are compatible.
- The needs of fishes pertaining to water, space, and temperature should match.
Thus, a 50 gallon tank can become a center of attraction as it has the capacity to embrace all the colorful and vibrant fishes. In order to ensure that the tank survives for long and the fishes inside lead a healthy and happy life, you need to pay heed to the stocking ideas you choose. The tank can be a center of elegant flora and fauna if it is regularly looked after.