When you rightly arrange the stocking for your 15 gallon tank, it can never fail to become a perfect habitat for your desired fishes. The tank demands less care and upkeep as compared to larger tanks and at the same time allows you to possess a number of fishes as compared to smaller ones. You can make a welcoming habitat for your fishes without much of a hassle using a 15 gallon tank. Once you consider the right factors for stocking, the establishment of a beautiful aquarium is imperative. Both freshwater and saltwater fishes can find a home in your 15 gallon tank, increasing the scope of variety embraced by the tank.
HOW MANY FISHES CAN YOU INCLUDE IN YOUR 15 GALLON TANK?
Since the tank happens to be quite compact, it can support only a limited variety. One fish per gallon policy can be adopted in a 15 gallon tank provided the size of the fish is not large. Usually, a centerpiece is decided for the tank in terms of a big fish, and for the rest of the aquarium, schooling and community fishes are used to fill in.
BEST FISH YOUR 15 GALLON TANK
You can have a variety of freshwater fishes in your 15 gallon tank. You will not be able to accommodate more than one big fish considering the size of the tank. Some of the freshwater and saltwater fishes for your 15 gallon tank includes-
- Community fish like Platy
- Corydoras Catfish
- Dwarf cichlids and shrimp.
Some of the schooling fishes that you can store are –
- Small Tetras
- Corydoras catfish
Big fishes that you can include in 15-gallon tank are-
- Dwarf cichlids and Gourami
- Aggressive fish Betta
IDEAL STOCKING OF FISH IN 15 GALLON TANK
There are various astonishing combinations that you can add to 15 gallon tank which drive away all the shortcomings of its small size. They provide you with the desired variety while reducing the need for upkeep. The first combination could include-
- 1 Betta fish, 8-10 Harlequin rasbora and 4 Panda corydoras catfish.
- The second combo can involve 1 pair electric blue rams, 8-10 ember tetra and 4-6 Albino Corydoras Catfish.
- The third and the last combination that can be considered viable for your 15 gallon tank will involve 1 pair dwarf Gourami, 8-10 glowlight Rasbora and 8-10 cherry shrimp.
- If you’re just starting then you can try setting up a tank with low –tech and few live plants. This will no only remove the chances of spiking but will also keep the quality of water in check.
You can choose a few of the great beginner plants such as-
- Java Fern
- Java Moss
Some interesting stocking ideas
- If you want to keep only neon tetra fishes in your tank, then around 10-20 such fishes can fit into your tank because they’re quite small in size.
- A great stocking idea would be to keep only a pair of the fishes of same species and fill the rest of the tank with smaller tank mates.
- If you keep only platies you can easily fill the tank with 4-6 of them. Just remember to incorporate more of female and less of male species to avoid aggressive behavior.
Thus, a 15 gallon tank can proffer you a perfect aquarium provided you choose the right type of fishes having well-suited features. Stocking is one aspect if nicely taken care of, can make your 15 gallon tank do wonders.